Forest Schools +
Forest Schools has been shown to develop positive character traits in children and can enhance curriculum delivery:
- Carling A. (2013) An Illuminative Evaluation of Forest School in Primary Schools.
- Gary H. (2012) Forest Schools: All Just Fun and Games?
Despite this fact schools sometimes struggle to engage in Forest Schools for the following reasons: cost; lack of knowledge, understanding and confidence; health and safety fears; lack of a suitable outdoor space; curriculum time pressures. OASES developed Forest Schools+ to help primary schools overcome these barriers by providing an inexpensive means of:
- equipping teachers with the knowledge, skills and confidence to embed Forest Schools practices and principles into their delivery.
- enabling teachers and teaching assistants to shaddow Forest Schools delivery, so that they are able to witness the benefits first hand.
- helping teachers to identify opportunities to write Forest Schools experiences into their curriculum.
Forest Schools ‘plus’ aims to equip teachers and practitioners with knowledge, skills and confidence to deliver Forest Schools activities outside with their children. It will enable teachers to understand (and witness) the benefits of Forest Schools and outdoor learning by shadowing an OASES leader during pupil session delivery. In addition, teachers can be offered support to write Forest School practice into their planning for the new curriculum.
Forest Schools Plus does not lead to the Forest Schools Leader Qualification but can equip staff with the knowledge, expertise and enthusiasm to deliver Forest Schools activities within their school’s grounds.
Forest School Level 3 course starting October 2017 at The EWE Centre
This course leads to the Forest School Level 3 qualification and is appropriate for teaching staff interested in the Forest School learning approach. The focus of the training is to plan and lead groups in Forest School and to qualify as a Forest School Leader.
The next course runs October 2017 to November 2018 over 10 days.